As of January 1, 2021, the Cultural Resource Protection program within the Illinois State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) transitioned to an electronic submittal and review process.
- FCC small-cell installation submission guidelines are
- Wind Farm submission guidelines are
- Solar Farm submission guidelines are
For all other undertakings subject to review under Section 106 (federal) or Section 707 (state), please follow these instructions. Individual undertakings must be submitted separately. Undertakings with multiple addresses but the same scope of work may be submitted together. If you have questions about how to submit your undertaking, please email us at
SHPO.Review@Illinois.gov. Please use the same address for your submittals.
Cover letter on your organization's letterhead that includes the following:
- The project's county, street address, and municipality. If no street address is available, please provide nearest street, section, township, and range. For unincorporated areas, please provide the nearest municipality and county.
- Complete description of your project, including any proposed ground-disturbing activity
- The names of state and/or federal agencies and entities that are providing funding, licenses, permits, or approvals for your project
- The name, email address, phone, and mailing address of the project contact
- Previously assigned SHPO log numbers associated with your project (if any)
- Total acreage involved in the project
- Year of construction for each structure on the project site
- Description of any prior non-agricultural ground disturbance in the project area
- Any known historical information, architectural significance, significance to community, or association with a significant individual for any cultural resources within the project area.
Maps & images to include with your submission:
- A map showing your project's location
- For projects that propose ground disturbance, please provide both a USGS 7.5-minute topographic map and recent aerial imagery with the project limits clearly outlined
- Newly taken, color, digital images of the existing site and of all structures within. Images must be appropriately named, high-resolution ".jpg" or ".pdf" files. Image files with the ".heic" extension will not be accepted
- Representative interior photos of any structures over 40 years of age
- High-resolution digital scans of relevant historic photographs and previous architectural plans (if applicable/available)
Proposed architectural/engineering plans and specifications, if they have been prepared. We would like to review your project as early in your planning process as we can. If you have only schematic plans, please submit them. If you don't yet have architectural or engineering plans and if we need to review them, we will request that you submit them to us when they are developed.
Any existing archaeological survey, testing, or mitigation reports. Please submit digital versions of these reports as described below, and mail us one (1) hard copy and one (1) digital (.pdf) copy on a CD/DVD or USB drive with the project's cover letter to:
Illinois State Historic Preservation Office
Cultural Resource Protection
One Old State Capitol Plaza
Springfield, IL 62701
If your submission is fewer than 25 MB in size, email it to SHPO.Review@Illinois.gov.
If your submission is 25 MB or larger:
- Place all your documents into one folder and omit any commas in the folder name
- Compress or "zip" the folder (information from
Microsoft regarding zipping files)
- Upload the zipped folder to:
https://filet.illinois.gov/filet/PIMupload.asp, and enter "SHPO.Review@Illinois.gov" as the recipient
- Click on "Advanced Options" and select "15 days" as the length of time your documents will remain on the State FTP site