The Office of Community Relations works with citizens, public interest groups, and industry to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of environmental programs at the Illinois EPA. The main goal of the Office of Community Relations is to ensure the public receives accurate and timely information about Agency activities while offering the public the opportunity to provide input on environmental decisions.
Staff in the Office of Community Relations perform the following duties on a day-to-day basis:
- Coordinate the Agency's Right-to-Know program;
- Explain environmental statues, rules, and regulations to the public in plain language;
- Evaluate and respond to pollution complaints from the public;
- Arrange and coordinate public meetings, hearings, workshops, and conferences to address public concerns and to answer questions about Agency activities - such as pending permit decisions, site cleanups and new program initiatives;
- Write fact sheets, pamphlets, news releases, and responsiveness summaries;
- Initiate media coverage and respond to associated inquiries;
- Participate in environmental education outreach activities; and
- Assist Agency technical staff with property access and public meetings.
The Office of Community Relations promotes outreach activities and fulfills, as needed, the public participation requirements for the following areas of the Illinois EPA:
The Office of Community Relations assists elsewhere in the Agency on special projects involving environmental education, the Great Lakes, community development and how-to workshops.
Related Information and Resources
Citizen Pollution Complaint
How to submit a complaint and an online form
Contact numbers, frequently asked questions, and related links
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Rules, fees, and an online form to submit your request
In Your Home
Information about asbestos, fluorescent lamps, pollution prevention, electronics recycling, lead-based paint, and more
The following directory lists the Office of Community Relations staff at the Illinois EPA and how to contact them.