This 100-acre site, which was formerly a zinc smelting facility from 1906 until approximately 1954, is located just west of the village of Hegeler, south of Danville. It is in a rural area, bordered by farmland on the west and the north. Hegeler Zinc produced various grades of zinc slab and rolled zinc products as well as sulfuric acid. In November 1947, zinc-smelting operations ceased, but zinc-rolling and sulfuric acid production continued until at least 1954. The smelting operation produced large amounts of slag (through a burning process), which was stored in piles on the site. The slag, which remains on the site, is a cinder material containing unburned residues and metals such as lead, arsenic and zinc.