Effective January 1, 2022, the Lead Service Line Replacement and Notification Act (Public Act 102-0613) replaced the current lead materials inventory requirements found in the Illinois Environmental Protection Act at 415 ILCS 5/17.11. The lead service line (LSL) replacement and notification requirements (Requirements) can be found at 415 ILCS 5/17.12.
Community water supplies (CWS) in Illinois are required to develop an initial material inventory by April 15, 2022. See 415 ILCS 5/17.12(d)(1). THE INITIAL MATERIAL INVENTORY IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE ILLINOIS EPA ON APRIL 15, 2022. However, the material inventory must be updated and submitted to Illinois EPA by April 15, 2023.
The material inventory shall identify:
- The TOTAL number of service lines in the CWS;
- The material of EACH service line connected to the CWS's distribution system;
- The number of suspected lead service lines that have been identified since the last material inventory was submitted; and
- The number of suspected or known lead service lines that were replaced since the last material inventory was submitted.
Additionally, to the best of the CWS’s ability, the CWS shall identify the service line, which means the piping, tubing, and necessary appurtenances acting as a conduit from the water main or source of potable water supply to the building plumbing at the first shut-off valve or 18 inches inside the building, whichever is shorter.
When completing the material inventory, the owner or operator shall at a minimum:
- Prioritize the inspection of high-risk areas identified;
- Review historical documents to determine service line material;
- Visually inspect service lines and document material when doing maintenance;
- Identify any time period service lines would have been connected to the distribution system and were primarily lead service lines; and
- Discuss service line repairs and installation with other employees, contractors, plumbers, and other workers who worked on service lines connected to the CWS.
THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT TO UNEARTH SERVICE LINES FOR THE PURPOSE OF INVENTORYING.
THE INITIAL MATERIAL INVENTORY IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE ILLINOIS EPA ON
APRIL 15, 2022.
EACH CWS IS REQUIRED TO ELECTRONICALLY SUBMIT AN UPDATED MATERIAL INVENTORY BY APRIL 15, 2023.
Summary of Public Water Supply Service Line Material Inventories
Summary Data for 2020 Reporting Year - Updated Jan. 14th 2022.
- 1,756 of 1,758 Community Water Supplies have reported inventory information.
- Of the 3,852,509 total services lines reported, the material inventory breakdown is as follows:
- 667,275 Lead;
- 819,586 Unknown material;
- 367,756 Copper with lead solder;
- 62,958 Galvanized;
- 242,767 Unknown but not lead;
- 1,378,454 Copper without lead solder; and
- 38,223 Cast/Ductile Iron or Transite
- 275,490 Plastic.