Having Trouble Opening These Forms?: These forms must be opened using Acrobat Reader. If you click on one of these links and get a message that starts with "Please wait...", then your computer is trying to use the web browser rather than Acrobat Reader to open the file. In that case, do this:
- Right-click on the link and select "Save link as..." or "Save target as..." to save the file.
- Start Acrobat Reader.
- In Acrobat Reader's menu, select "File", then "Open" to open the saved file.
- New Application: $100
- Renewal Application: $100
- Class A Examination: $400 (new and renewal)
- Special Waste Endorsement Exam: $100 (new and renewal)
Late Fee: $50 - if all renewal fees are not submitted prior to November 1, following a certificate's expiration
Certificate Validity: Class A and Special Waste Endorsement Certifications are valid for a period of 3 years, with the expiration date being 3 years from the first day of October of the calendar year in which the certificate is issued.
Renewal Requirements: Renewal applications and new applications must be received by the Agency 30 calendar days in advance of the exam date. Applications received less than 30 days prior to the exam date will be reviewed for the next exam date.
Retesting: In the event of failing an exam, the exam may be retaken at the next regularly scheduled exam date unless the applicant has failed three times, in which case, the applicant must wait one year to retake the exam.
For landfill Operator Certification Program questions, please contact
Becky Jayne at 217-524-9642. For the Bureau of Land permitting questions, call 217-524-3301. For all other questions, call 217-524-3300.
Landfill Operator Certification Regulations
A Solid Waste Certified Landfill Operator is required for each permitted landfill in the State of Illinois. A certified operator is required until the Bureau of Land, Permit Section has issued a certificate of closure on the landfill.
Certified Operator" means the person at a landfill who is normally present and accessible. A certified operator may be on the operational staff of no more than three landfills. The certified operator is responsible for directing landfill operations or supervising other operational staff in performing landfill operations, (including, but not limited to the acceptance, distribution, and cover of waste). Every certified operator shall satisfactorily demonstrate to the Agency a practical working knowledge of the design, operation, and maintenance of sanitary landfills.
Applicants can apply for certificates or certificate renewals in any of the following categories:
Class A - Landfills which accept non-hazardous solid waste, other than clean construction and demolition debris, and do not accept any special waste, shall employ at least one person who possesses a valid Class A Certificate.
Class A with a Special Waste Endorsement - Landfills which accept special non-hazardous waste, other than clean construction and demolition debris, and do not accept any special waste, shall employ at least one person who possesses a valid Class A Certificate with a Special Waste Endorsement.
For a Class A certificate, the applicant must submit a complete application to the Agency accompanied by a fee ($100). The applicant must demonstrate the following: pursuant to Title 68 IAC 870.210(b):
- the applicant is at least 18 years of age;
- the applicant has not violated any of the provisions of the Solid Waste Site Operator Certification Law which could result in the refusal to issue, renew, or suspended for cause such certification;
- the applicant has either:
- a high school diploma or its equivalent, and
- not less than 2 years of acceptable study, training, and responsible experience in sanitary landfill operation or management, or
- not less than 7 years of acceptable study, training, and responsible experience in operation or management of earth moving equipment; or
- has completed:
- grammar school or its equivalent, and
- not less than 15 years of acceptable study, training, and responsible experience in sanitary landfill operation or management, and
- the names and phone numbers of no fewer than 3 references.
Special Waste Endorsement
Any person who seeks a Special Waste Endorsement must pass a written examination. A Special Waste Endorsement shall not be issued to the applicant until the applicant has been issued a Class A Certificate.