According to Section 305(b) of the federal CWA of 1972, and guidance provided by U.S. EPA, each state is required to prepare and submit to the U.S. Congress and the U.S. EPA an annual report which includes:
- An assessment of the water quality for surface and groundwater resources;
- An analysis of the extent to which such waters provide for the protection and propagation of shellfish, fish, and wildlife as well as allow for recreational activities;
- An analysis of the extent to which the requirements of the CWA have been achieved;
- An estimate of the environmental impacts, costs and benefits, and time frame to achieve the requirements of the CWA; and
- A description of the nature and extent of nonpoint source pollution and recommendations to address this pollution.