Sign In

HFS logo

How to Apply for Services

Important Note:  For best results, use Internet Explorer v11 or above to open HFS forms. If you use Chrome or other browsers, you may experience technical difficulties with certain fillable PDF's, depending on your browser settings. If this is the case, right-click the form link, save the PDF to your device, then open the form outside of your browser.


The ​department offers services to dependent children living in Illinois and out of state. To apply for child support services, a person does not have to apply for or receive public assistance. To find more information on the child support program for non-assistance customers, look at the Non Assistance Program Fact Sheet.




If the dependent children live with one parent and the other parent does not live at home and does not provide financial support, the division will:

  1. Search for the non-custodial parent

  2. Establish paternity

  3. Obtain a child support order or enforce an existing order when the non-custodial parent has been located

  4. Enforce the child support order by serving an income withholding notice for child support on the non-custodial parent's employer.

  5. Secure medical insurance for the children.




Income withholding is the best and most reliable form of child support payment. The division receives daily information about employment from state and federal partners to track newly hired employees within the state. When an employer is identified, an Income Withholding Notice is sent.


The division has many ways to collect support, including withholding from unemployment insurance benefits, intercepting federal and state income tax refunds and lottery winnings, placing liens on real property, freezing bank accounts, and asking the Secretary of State to suspend an Illinois driver’s license. We may also ask the U.S. Department of State to deny a passport. We may ask the Court to take enforcement action on your case. We work with other states to take similar actions for intergovernmental cases.


How to Apply

  • If you are interested in getting free child support services, and want to apply for non-assistance child support services and you live in Illinois, and the dependent child(ren) lives with you, please go to: On-Line Application for Child Support Services to complete an application.

  • NOTE: If you are applying for free child support services, you live in Illinois, and the dependent child or children do NOT live with you, please complete the following application form:



  • You may also apply for non-assistance child support services by printing the application form and mailing it to the address located at the top of the application.  Your signed application must be received before the process may begin.


Before downloading the form, you may need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader


Illinois Child Support Services offers the form below for download in Portable Document Format (PDF). In order to view or print this form in the PDF format, you will need Adobe's Acrobat Reader®. You will need to download and install the Acrobat Reader, which is available from Adobe's Web site, on your computer. Click on the Adobe® Icon for the free download.

  1. Application for Child Support Services (Title IV-D)


Please Note: If you have an active case with our Department or already have completed an application, please do not send another one unless your case is closed, or you are requesting enforcement from a different non-custodial parent than listed on the case already opened. If you are not sure, or you are requesting a status, you may call 1-800-447-4278 or visit Online Services.


Para información en Español llame gratis al Centro de Servicios al Cliente al 1-800-447-4278. Si usa teletipo, llame al 1-800-526-5812


 Need Assistance?

Illinois Healthcare and Family Services

JB Pritzker, Governor • Theresa Eagleson, Director