Equity, Positive Outcomes, Well-Being
Advancing its vision to foster healthcare equity, the State of Illinois is offering medical coverage to adults age 55 through age 64 regardless of their immigration status. HFS developed this program as part of its vision to encourage positive outcomes for our customers, address the social and structural determinants of health and foster the well-being of the Illinoisans we serve.
You may be eligible for this program if you meet all 3 requirements:
1. You are at least 55 years old and not over age 64.
2. You are one of the following:
- A legal permanent resident (LPR) for less than five years (also known as having a green card), or
- An undocumented immigrant (including individuals in a Temporary Protected Status)
3. You are a resident of Illinois.
4. Your 2022 annual household income is at or below $18,754 for one person; at or below $25,268 combined income for a household size of two. The income limit differs depending on the number of household members.
If you are age 65+, you may be eligible for the Health Benefits for Immigrant Seniors program
The new medical program offers a full benefit package with $0 premiums and $0 co-payments. Covered services include:
- Doctor and hospital care
- Lab tests
- Rehabilitative services such as physical and occupational therapy
- Home health, mental health and substance use disorder services
- Dental and vision services
- Prescription drugs
Long Term Care Services are not be covered. This includes nursing facility services and home or community-based services as an alternative to facility services.
The program may cover prior health care up to 3 months before you apply.
If you have questions about how enrollment in this program would affect current or future requests to change your immigration status, please email Protecting Immigrant Families at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Immigrant Family Resource Program at 1-855-437-7669. They will help you find an organization to answer your questions.
You can apply for these new benefits by any of the following methods:
✓ Apply online - at www.ABE.illinois.gov.
✓ Apply by phone - call the ABE Customer Call Center at 1-800-843-6154.
✓ Contact an Application Assistor for help in applying
✓ Contact a Community Service Agency for help in applying in 59 languages.
✓ Apply by mail – use the on-line Paper Application or ask the ABE Customer Call Center
(1-800-843-6154) to request a paper application.
For More Information
Contact the Office of Welcoming Centers for Refugee and Immigrant Services, DHS Bureau of Refugee and Immigrant Services, phone (312) 793-7120, or email DHS.BRIS@illinois.gov