Date: November 24, 2021
To: Long Term Care Facilities - Nursing Facilities (NF), Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IID), Supportive Living Program (SLP) Providers, and Medically Complex for the Developmentally Disabled Facilities (MC/DD)
Re: CARES Act Funding – Final Grant Distributions to LTC Providers
This notice is to inform Long-Term Care (LTC) providers that the Department is distributing final CARES Act funding grants to Nursing Facilities (NFs), Supportive Living Program Providers (SLPs), Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF/IIDs) and Medically Complex for the Developmentally Disabled Facilities (MC/DDs). Total grant award funding available for distribution in the final round is $45.9M
Application and Distribution Process:
The Department has begun notifying providers of grant funding via email. To complete the process, providers must:
- Sign the Grant Agreement,
- Complete your Budget using the provided budget template, and
- Return both the signed Grant Agreement and the completed Budget to HFS.
Failure to accurately complete the Grant Agreement or to fully and accurately complete the Budget may result in your distributions being delayed and/or denied.
Providers are required to certify that any funding provided pursuant to this Grant Agreement will only be spent on allowable costs within the categories of allowable costs, as detailed in the Budget, when signing the Grant Agreement.
The Grant distribution will be approved and processed for payment upon return of the signed Grant Agreement and accurately completed Budget.
- The Grant Agreement may be signed by a physical signature or electronic signature.
- The Grant Agreement is required to be sent back to HFS in PDF format.
- The Budget should be sent back in Excel.
The signed Grant Agreement and Budget must be returned to HFS by December 1, 2021 to ensure payment prior to the Expiration of the funds on December 31, 2021.
LTC Provider Eligibility:
Long Term Care providers identified above (NFs, SLPs, ICF/IIDs, and MC/DDs) that are currently enrolled in the Medicaid program and provided Medicaid services in calendar year 2021 are included in the pool of providers used to determine Grant award amounts.
The Department is distributing $45.9 million to the LTC providers. A concerted effort was made to distribute funding to providers that did not receive funding in the previous application based CARES funding distributions (all but Round 1). The award amounts were determined as follows:
- Annualized 2020 cost report staffing hours were used as the basis for the awards.
- Determined an available funding amount per staffing hour across all providers. This amount was $2.95 per hour.
- Providers which already received previous CARES funding (excluding Round 1) that exceeded the funding amount per staffing hour are ineligible for the Final Round CARES funding distribution.
- A base amount was set aside to assure all providers receive at least $0.45 per staffing hour. This accounted for $28.3 million of the available funds.
- The remainder of the funding was distributed proportionally to all eligible providers to cover 10% of the unfunded balance up to the target funding amount per staffing hour. This additional funding raised the minimum received to at least $0.70 per staffing hour.
Providers that have questions regarding the access and submittal of Grant Agreements and Budgets should contact the HFS Program Support Line at (866) 385-0600 (toll free) between 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. CST, Monday through Friday.
If you have non-technical questions, please e-mail HFS.CARES@Illinois.Gov.
Kelly Cunningham, Administrator
Division of Medical Programs