Date: April 4, 2022
To: All Medical Assistance Program Providers
Re: Illinois ADVANCE – New Resource for Prescribers
In August 2019, the State of Illinois passed Public Act 101-0278, requiring the establishment of an evidence-based, non-commercial education program for Medicaid prescribers consisting of web-based curriculum and academic educator outreach. As a result of this legislation, the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services has partnered with the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) College of Pharmacy to provide drug information, continuing medical education, and academic detailing services through Illinois ADVANCE at no cost to all prescribers in Illinois.
Illinois ADVANCE provides opportunities for prescribers to meet with a clinical pharmacist to discuss evidence-based, unbiased information, including clinical guidelines and updates on treatment recommendations, as a way to stay current on evolving pharmacotherapy literature.
Key features of the program include:
- One-on-one, in-person or virtual visits, with a clinical pharmacist
- Customized, 15–20-minute, focused discussions to address the needs of the prescriber's specific practice
- Free 0.5-hour Continuing Medical Education (CME) credit available with each visit
- Current clinical topics include:
- Chronic non-cancer pain
- Opioid safety
- Neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome
- Smoking cessation
- Future topics include HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis, sexually transmitted infections, and more
- Web-based curriculum
- Drug information services
- UIC Drug Information Group is available to answer clinical questions submitted via the request form on the Illinois ADVANCE website or by phone at the toll-free number
833-925-0928 Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm (CST)
- Clinical updates and relevant health-related alerts
- Current information available by following Illinois ADVANCE social media platforms
Visit the Illinois ADVANCE website for additional information or to schedule your first visit.
Kelly Cunningham, Administrator
Division of Medical Programs