Date: April 27, 2022
To: All Medical Assistance Program Providers
Re: Notice of Resource Available to Providers of Adaptive Behavior Support Services
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The purpose of this notice is to inform providers of an administrative resource being made available to providers of Adaptive Behavior Support (ABS) services. The Department has created a template for a Written Collaborative Agreement (WCA) that ABS Clinicians and ABS Technicians may use to establish necessary clinical relationships for the provision of ABS services.
By informational notice dated October 30, 2020, the Department announced coverage of ABS services for children with a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder when ordered by a physician. That notice detailed the requirement that certain professionals, in the provision of ABS services, require an executed WCA to be enrolled as a qualified provider of ABS services.
The WCA must identify:
- The professional relationship between the professionals (e.g., employee, contracted employee, etc.);
- The services and treatment that the supervised professionals may provide pursuant to the ABS fee schedule; and
- The arrangement between the professionals for direct clinical supervision.
Interested parties may download and utilize the HFS WCA template with the understanding that it is the responsibility of the providers to ensure that contractual relationships established for the delivery of clinical services are consistent with the parties' professional ethics and standard legal practices.
Note: HFS does not require providers seeking to enroll in the HFS IMPACT system to utilize the Department's WCA Template. Any WCA that meets the WCA requirements, detailed above, can be used in the IMPACT enrollment process.
For inquiries regarding this notice and program see below:
- ABS policy and general ABS concerns: email@example.com.
- Behavioral Health Provider IMPACT enrollment: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior Authorization for ABS services requests: Hfs.email@example.com.
- Billing questions, Bureau of Professional and Ancillary Services: 877-782-5565.
Questions regarding ABS service coverage, prior authorization, and billing requirements for managed care enrolled customers should be directed to the appropriate HealthChoice Illinois (HCI) managed care organization plan.
Kelly Cunningham, Administrator
Division of Medical Programs