Certify for Payment of Unemployment Benefits
- The best way to complete your certification is online from
3:00am – 7:30pm on your designated certification day, or on Thursdays or Fridays,
- You may also certify by
tele-serve at 312.338.4337.
Common mistakes to avoid when Certifying
Maintain your eligibility for current and future unemployment insurance benefits by familiarizing yourself with the following common mistakes or misunderstandings.
Examples of UI fraud include situations where an individual:
Violators could face:
- Returns to work but continues to collect UI benefits
- Works at a part-time job but does not report their earnings to IDES, thereby collecting more benefits than are allowed
- Works odd jobs while collecting UI benefits but does not report the earnings when filing his or her weekly claim
- Large fines and penalties
- Prison sentences
- Offset against state and federal income tax returns
- Loss of future UI benefits
Any information submitted by you to IDES may be verified through computer matching programs in order to determine your eligibility for Unemployment Insurance benefits.