Household Employer (Worker) Taxes and Reporting

Anyone who pays a nanny, housekeeper, home health aide or other household employee to work in their home is a household employer. 

Household employers can file their unemployment insurance contributions annually with IDES. The new "Return for Household Employers - Unemployment Contributions" (UI-HA; see below) will be mailed to current household annual filers. This form is not to be used for Illinois Department of Revenue payments.​
​Household Worker Taxes ​​Help and Resources

​Steps to Pay
​​If you qualify as a household employer and want to pay your taxes once a year, follow these steps:

  1. ​Register as a household (domestic) employer (if you are not already registered) by filling out and filing the UI-1 DOM form with IDES.
  2. Report any newly hired employees within 20 days of the date of hire.
  3. File the form UI-HA 2016 Report for Household Employers by April 17, 2017.

​​​Additional Publications
Internal Revenue Service: Household Employer's Tax Guide 
Social Security Administration: Household workers publication 
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Verification Process
Learn more about your responsibilities as a household employer 

Useful Links​
What UI tax payment options are available?​ 
Illinois Department of Revenue: Tax Forms 
Illinois Department of Revenue: Withholding and Paying Household Employer Taxes​