IDHHC is the licensing body for sign language interpreters under the Illinois Interpreters for the Deaf Licensure Act of 2007. The Licensure Act requires anyone who is providing interpreting services in Illinois to be licensed unless specifically exempted under the Act. The Interpreter for the Deaf Licensure Act of 2007 Rules (Administrative Code - Title 68; Chapter IX; Part 1515) provides specific details such as the required accepted certifications, fees, proficiency levels, continuing education and standards of professional conduct. The Licensure Act & Rules can be downloaded via the above links.
The Interpreter for the Deaf License renewal portal is now open.
On November 1, 2022, renewal notices were sent to the email address listed in your ELP profile. If you did not receive an email, please check your spam, or junk folders. The automated emails are sent from: email@example.com.
The renewal period is open from November 1st – February 15, 2022. The renewal fee is $150 and is processed when submitting the renewal application. Late renewals are accepted January 1st – February 15th. The late renewal fees are $210 ($150 annual renewal and $60 late fee). IDHHC strongly encourages all renewal applications be submitted no later than December 12, 2022. After that time, IDHHC cannot ensure the application will be processed prior to December 31, 2022.
Your license is not renewed upon the submission of the application and fees. All renewal applications must be reviewed and approved by IDHHC staff. Once the application has been approved, you will receive an email notification and be able to download a copy of your digital license from the profile. If the renewal has not been processed by December 31, 2022, your license is considered expired until the renewal process is completed.
If you did not receive the renewal email, you can start the renewal application directly from your ELP profile. Once you are logged into your ELP profile, select the Certification/License tab. Next you will need to select IDHHC from the drop-down menu. You should now see your license listed. All the way to the right, click on the last icon
*The blue renew now is not a link to the renewal application.
A few things to remember:
- The best browser to use is Chrome. ELP no longer supports Internet Explorer 11.
- If you do not remember your username or password, do NOT create a new profile. Please use the forgot username and password features.
- During the application process, you must upload proof of a current acceptable certification.
- RID certified membership card
- BEI Certification/Card
- ISAS card or current affidavit.
- All payments are processed in ELP at the end of the application prior to submission.
- IDHHC no longer accepts paper applications. All renewals must be processed through your ELP profile. IDHHC will return all renewal applications received via USPS as unprocessed. IDHHC will credit any payments for licensure renewal processed directly through the EPay site.
ELP Tutorial Licensure Renewal
Click on the ELP button below to begin your application.