Illinois currently does
not mandate insurance coverage for hearing aids. However, some health insurance policies do include coverage. If you are unsure whether you have coverage, please check with your insurance provider. IDHHC continues to advocate for mandated insurance coverage of hearing aids in the Illinois General Assembly. Unfortunately, legislation previously introduced has not been successful. If you are interested in showing your support, please contact your
local legislative representative.
Hearing aid dispensers are required to be licensed and provide a 30 business day trial period on hearing aids under the
Illinois Hearing Instrument Consumer Protection Act. For more information or to file a complaint, contact the
Illinois Department of Public Health at 217-524-2396 or 800-547-0466 (TTY).
Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Fill out the Application for Benefits Eligibility (ABE) to apply for SNAP, cash or medical assistance based on your income.
- If approved in qualifying for services/medical card, you may be eligible to receive hearing aids upon referral from a Doctor.
Department of Human Services, Division of Rehabilitation Services (DHS-DRS)
- Individuals must become a client and currently be employed or seeking employment.
- Contact your local
(VR) office to see if you qualify for services.
Department of Human Services, Bureau of Early Intervention (DHS-EI)
- For children 0-3 years old; and
- Provides resources and supports that assist parents in maximizing their child's development.
University of Illinois at Springfield, Division of Specialized Care for Children (DSCC)
- Helps children with disabilities, and those who have conditions which may lead to disabilities, grow and develop to the full extent of their abilities.
- Help families get a diagnosis and learn more about your child’s condition, arrange special medical care, work with your child’s doctors and teachers, assist with your insurance plan and/or smooth your child’s transition into adulthood.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE & DONATED HEARING AIDS:
Chicago Hearing Society (CHS) has a Hearing Aid Bank and Donating Hearing Aids available by application.
- The following provide a listing of potential financial assistance programs: