About the Layers
The main window of HARGIS is divided into four areas: Map Tools, the Map, a Results Area, and Links.
Map Tools help the user navigate and perform specific tasks within the Map. The Results Area is where selected properties are listed and the user can find the details of those properties. The Links area has four sections: Agency Links to open the main IHPA Web site or the Preservation Services Division Web page; Zoom To links to help the user proceed quickly to needed information; Property Search to help the user find specific properties; and Map links that provide the map legend (and allow the user to turn layers on or off), and to print the map and search results.
Other windows are used for specific purposes: various search dialogs boxes appear when the user clicks on any of the links under the Property Search section in the Links area. A legend window that defines the symbols used in the map opens when the "Legend" link is clicked on. Reports on selected properties also are opened in a separate window.
Instructions for Some Common Searches
To search for all properties on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in a specific county:
- Click on the "By National Register" link under Property Search in the Links area.
- In the "Select Search Region" window, click the radio button next to County, then click on the "Next" button.
- Scroll to find the county and click on it to select it--or begin typing the county name in the text box and automatically jump to the county. When the county name is highlighted, click the "Next" button.
- In the "National Register Search" window, click in the selection box next to one or more of the NRHP categories, and click the "Finish" button.
- A list of the properties that meet your specifications will appear in the Results Area of the screen. Depending on how many properties there are, you may need to page through them by using the "First," "Previous, "Next," and "Last" links.
- To identify where a property from the list of selected properties in the Results Area is on the map, click the "ID" link next to the property.
- To see details and photos about a property, click the "Report" link.
- To print the map and the results list, click on the "Print" link in the Links area of the page.
To search for a property by its address:
- Click on "Advanced" under Property Search in the Links area.
- In the "Select Search Region" window, click the radio button next to City, then click on the "Next" button.
- Choose the municipality (city) by scrolling through the list--or begin typing the name in the text box and automatically jump to the municipality. When it is highlighted, click the "Next" button.
- In the "Advanced Search" window, type the address in the text box below Property Address. Click the "Finish" button.
- Note: enter as much of the street address as you know. Do not enter the city or the zip code in this field. For directions, use N., S., E., or W. rather than North, South, East, and West. If you do not get any results from your search, try entering just the street name.