The Science Advisory Committee was established to address scientific issues related to Illinois rivers and work directly under the guidance of the River Coordinating Councils. The SAC has been functioning since 1999 under the direction of Lt. Governors of the State of Illinois.
Science Advisory Committee Mission
- Respond to charges of the River Coordinating Councils;
- provide advice on scientific and technical matters associated with the management of natural resources in the Illinois, Mississippi, Wabash and Ohio River Watersheds; and
- initiate the discussion of scientific and technical issues of importance to the maintenance and restoration of natural resources in all of these rivers and their watersheds.
The Science Advisory Committee is chaired by Dr. Nani Bhowmik and hosted by the National Great Rivers Research and Education Center. Members include experts from the scientific community that are appointed by Lt. Governor Sheila Simon. Additional experts may be invited to temporarily serve on ad hoc committees focused on specific activities.
The Science Advisory Committee is currently working on the following issues:
- Adaptive management: Working with the US Army Corps of Engineers to develop an adaptive management and assessment process for all river related projects.
- 15 year report on the Integrated Management Plan for the Illinois River: An assessment of the progress toward the goals and recommendations outlined in the Integrated Management Plan.
- New project identification: A project selection criteria based on available scientific knowledge, working with the Illinois River Work Group and project managers.
- New research needs: Identifying priority research and monitoring activities on all Illinois rivers.
If you are interested in serving on any of these ad hoc committees, please contact the Science Advisory Committee Chairman, Dr. Nani Bhowmik, at email@example.com.
Science Advisory Committee Issue Papers
Blue Ribbon Panel for the Illinois Rivers Project
Illinois Rivers Decision Support System
Ecosystem Services for Riparian Areas
Polybrominated Biphenyl Ethers
November 9, 2011-Agenda
NGRREC Field Station