IEMA Highlights ‘Spirit of Giving’ in December
December 1, 2014
Encourages holiday shoppers to give preparedness gifts this year
SPRINGFIELD – If you’re trying to find the perfect holiday presents for everyone on your list, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and local emergency management agencies are offering gift ideas to help your loved ones stay safe when disaster strikes.
“While you’re shopping this holiday season, consider gifts that can help friends and family stay safe during all types of emergencies,” said IEMA Director Jonathon Monken. “You can give something small, like a flashlight or first aid kit, or surprise someone with a home or vehicle preparedness kit you assembled yourself.”
Monken said preparedness gift ideas include:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather alert radio with battery backup, a tone-alert feature and Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME) technology. Weather alert radios broadcast warnings and post-event information for all types of hazards, including natural, environmental and public safety hazards, such as severe weather, chemical spills and AMBER alerts.
- Flashlight with extra batteries.
- First aid kit with sterile bandages and gauze pads in assorted sizes; antiseptic; latex gloves; tweezers; scissors; soap and moistened towelettes; and a thermometer.
- Home emergency preparedness kit stocked with a three-day supply of bottled water and non-perishable food; battery-powered radio, weather radio and flashlights with extra batteries; first aid kit; shut-off wrench (to turn off household gas and water); manual can opener; and fire extinguisher.
- Vehicle emergency preparedness kit stocked with a flashlight with extra batteries; first aid kit; water and non-perishable snacks; blankets; windshield scraper and brush; booster cables; sack of sand or kitty litter; tool kit; and shovel. The items can be packed in a backpack or rubber tub.
- Pet emergency preparedness kit stocked with emergency food, bottled water, toys and a leash.
Most preparedness gift items can be found in hardware and department stores. For additional information on emergency preparedness, visit the Ready Illinois website at www.Ready.Illinois.gov.