When a disaster or emergency is over, you need to review what has occurred. To do this, you should:
- Check on the status of your family’s physical health and the safety of your home.
- If you have property damage, document the damage with photographs before cleaning up.
- Contact your insurance company and your local emergency management or local law enforcement agency to ensure your damage is included in a possible state or federal disaster declaration.
- Take one step at a time and pay attention to the mental health of your family.
- If you experience flooding, take the proper health precautions to protect you and your family
- Restock your Disaster Kit and Go Bag.
- Review and update your Family Plan.
- Get trained and volunteer so you can help others in your community.
- Be aware of scams following a disaster. Never pre-pay for services and protect your personal information.
For more information, select a topic to the right.