If I receive a refund, then amend my tax return and pay back all or a portion of my initial refund, will that reduce my 1099-G amount?

Under federal law, the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) is required to report the actual amount of refund or credit. IDOR cannot net the amount against other transactions. Therefore, if you pay back all or a portion of a previously issued refund, your 1099-G will not be reduced by the amount you paid back. You must contact the Internal Revenue Service at (800) 829-1040 to determine how to properly claim your 1099-G and payment amounts on the federal tax return.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.