How may I apply for penalty cancellation due to reasonable cause?

If we charge you a penalty but you believe you have reasonable cause for not complying with the tax laws, you may request a penalty cancellation. Reasonable cause may exist when you show that you used prudence and good business care and were still unable to meet the requirements for filing your return and paying the amount owed on time. To request penalty cancellation due to reasonable cause, write to us at the address on the notice you receive and provide a detailed explanation of your current circumstances and any documentation that supports your position. We will consider your request and will respond in writing. If you have any questions, call us at the telephone number written on the notice.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.