Do I need to file my IL-1120 if it shows a net loss?

If you are required to file an Illinois return (see “ Who must file Form IL-1120?”), the return must be filed in a timely manner, regardless of net income or loss. If the loss return calculates an overpayment for which you expect to receive a refund or request a credit carry forward, you must file the loss return within 3 years of the extended due date of the loss return to receive a refund or credit carry forward.

EXAMPLE: You claim a Net Loss Deduction on your December 2017 Form IL-1120. The loss you are claiming is from your December 2010 reporting period; however, you did not file your December 2010 Form IL-1120 until March 2017. Your December 2010 Form IL-1120 calculates a net loss and claims an overpayment from your December 2009 reporting period which you request as a refund. The loss generated on your December 2010 return is available to be claimed on your December 2017 Form IL-1120; however, the refund claimed, due to the overpayment from the December 2009 reporting period, is unavailable to be refunded or applied toward a subsequent reporting period because your December 2010 reporting period was filed more than three years from the extended due date of the original return.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.