How do I correct a payment error I made in the MyTax system?

If a payment request has not yet been processed, you may cancel the pending payment by following the steps below. If the submitted payment status is something other than "pending," you may not cancel the payment.

  1. Go to either the home screen or the tax account you made the payment for.
  2. Select the Requests tab.
  3. On the Waiting to be Processed tab, select the confirmation number hyperlink for the payment you want to cancel.
  4. Select Withdraw, then select Yes.
  5. Submit a correct payment, if need be.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.