I am a new withholding agent. What are my payment and filing requirements?

As a new withholding agent, you will be required to make monthly payments, using Form IL-501, by the 15th of the following month and file quarterly returns, using Form IL-941, by the end of the month following the quarter end. If you go over $12,000 cumulative withholding in a quarter, then beginning the next quarter and for the next year, you must make semi-weekly payments using one of our electronic methods. Additionally, you will be notified, in writing, late in each year if you have any payment and filing changes beginning the first of the next year. We encourage you to use our free program, MyTax Illinois, to pay and file your withholding liabilities. For more information, please see Publication 130, Who is Required to Withhold Illinois Income Tax and Publication 131, Withholding Income Tax Payment and Filing Requirements.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.