You may choose to file online using computer tax preparation (Tax-Prep) software. This allows you to file your IL-1040 electronically using department approved commercial software or web-based applications. In some instances, the commercial software can be downloaded from the software company's web site. Some providers of Tax-Prep software may charge a fee for their service.
To file using this method you and your spouse (if applicable) will need:
- an Illinois Personal Identification Number (IL-PIN).
Click here to see if an IL-PIN has been assigned to you,
- a valid Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card on file with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Faster Refunds
- Proof of Filing
may file using Tax-Prep software if you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) have an IL-PIN or a valid Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card on file with the Illinois Secretary of State.
may not file electronically using Tax-Prep software if you:
- are claiming the August 1, 1969, valuation limitation amount from Schedule F reported on Schedule M, Line 21,
- are filing a return for a deceased taxpayer,
- want to amend or correct a previously filed return,
- claim recapture of investments tax credits from Schedule 4255 on IL-1040, Line 14, or
- claim credit for tax paid to other states on IL-1040, Line 16 if you are not a full-year Illinois resident.
If you find that you have made an error after filing, you will need to file an
IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return.