MyTax Illinois to electronically file your
Amended Individual Income Tax Return. It’s fast, easy, and free.
DETERMINE YOUR ELIGIBILITY
You are eligible to file your IL-1040-X via MyTax Illinois if you
- filed Form IL-1040 electronically for the tax year you want to amend; and
- have created a MyTax Illinois account. Use the links in right-hand column to either create or access your MyTax Illinois account.
GATHER YOUR INFORMATION
Some common documents you may need to help you file are
- a copy of your original IL-1040, including any departmental corrections, for the tax year you want to amend;
- a copy of your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045;
- proof of federal finalization for your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045;
- a copy of any refund check and any other notification you received from the IRS stating they accepted the changes shown on your U.S. 1040X or U.S. 1045; and
- account transcript from the IRS or examiner’s report.
Do I need to file Form IL-1040-X?
You should file Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return if
- you discover that you made an error on your Illinois return after it was filed; or
- you filed a U.S. 1040X or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) adjusted your federal return and the change affects your Illinois return.
NOTE: If the federal change results in a refund, do not file Form IL-1040-X until you receive notification that your change has been accepted by the IRS.
What about my refund?
You can check the status of your refund here:
Where’s my refund?
I received a Return Correction Notice (RCN). What should I do?
Please respond to the RCN as directed.