MyTax Illinois to electronically file your
original Individual Income Tax Return. It’s easy, free, and you will get your refund faster.
DETERMINE YOUR ELIGIBILITY
You are eligible to file an original IL-1040 via MyTax Illinois if you
- have not filed an individual income tax return for this tax year;
- are an established Illinois taxpayer
or have a valid Illinois Driver’s License or Illinois State Identification Card;
- have a Social Security Number (SSN)
or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN); and
- have a valid email address.
GATHER YOUR INFORMATION
Some common documents, records, or receipts you may need to help you file are
- a copy of your federal income tax return and schedules;
- copies of all W-2 and 1099 forms;
- tax returns you filed with other states;
- your property number and amount of property tax paid;
- receipts for qualified education or moving expenses; and
- your routing and account number if you are due a refund and choose to deposit your refund directly into your checking or savings account.
What if I already filed Form IL-1040?
DO NOT mail a copy of your return. Submitting multiple original returns will cause processing delays.
What about my refund?
You can check the status of your refund here:
Where’s my refund?
Made an error, forgot something, or need to amend?
If you discover that you made an error or forgot to include income, withholding, or another credit on your original return, you must file Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return.
Learn more about filing Form IL-1040-X on MyTax Illinois.
I received a Return Correction Notice (RCN). What should I do?
DO NOT file another Form IL-1040. Please respond to the RCN as directed.