File Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return, on MyTax Illinois

Use MyTax Illinois to electronically file your original Individual Income Tax Return. It’s easy, free, and you will get your refund faster.


You are eligible to file an original IL-1040 via MyTax Illinois if you

  • have not filed an individual income tax return for this tax year;
  • are an established Illinois taxpayer by having filed an IL-1040 return in the past;
  • have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN); and
  • have a valid email address.


Some common documents, records, or receipts you may need to help you file are

  • your 8-digit IL-PIN or a valid Illinois Driver's License or Illinois State Identification Card, or your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from your prior year's tax return;
  • a copy of your federal income tax return and schedules;
  • copies of all W-2 and 1099 forms;
  • tax returns you filed with other states;
  • your property number and amount of property tax paid;
  • receipts for qualified education or moving expenses; and
  • your routing and account number if you are due a refund and choose to deposit your refund directly into your checking or savings account.

For more information, see IL-1040 Instructions.


Start Your IL-1040


Already have a MyTax Illinois account?

You can login to your account to file your IL-1040.

Important Notice for MyTax Illinois users – The option to file Form IL-1040, Illinois Individual Income Tax Return, without having a MyTax Illinois account (non-login option) is no longer available. If you would like to file your IL-1040 through MyTax Illinois, you must file using your My Tax Illinois account. If you do not have an account, you may create one by choosing "Sign Up" in the Login box at MyTax Illinois and following the instructions. 

What if I already filed Form IL-1040?

DO NOT mail a copy of your return. Submitting multiple original returns will cause processing delays.

What about my refund?
You can check the status of your refund here: Where’s my refund?

Made an error, forgot something, or need to amend?
If you discover that you made an error or forgot to include income, withholding, or another credit on your original return, you must file Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return. Learn more about filing Form IL-1040-X on MyTax Illinois.

I received a Return Correction Notice (RCN). What should I do?
DO NOT file another Form IL-1040. Please respond to the RCN as directed.