To request an exemption (E) number, an exclusively charitable, religious, or educational organization; a government organization; or an organization that otherwise meets the requirements as a tax-exempt organization (e.g., arts or cultural organization or qualifying senior citizens organization) must submit Form STAX-1, Application for Sales Tax Exemption and include a copy of the following:
- The articles of incorporation, if incorporated.
- The organization's constitution, if unincorporated.
- The organization's by-laws.
- A brief narrative that explains purposes, functions, and activities of the organization.
- The IRS letter, respecting federal tax-exempt status, if the organization has one.
- Brochures or other printed material explaining the purposes, functions, and activities of the organization.
- The most recent financial statement. If the organization is a religious organization, you do not need to submit a financial statement with the initial request.
- Any other information that describes the purposes, functions, and activities of the organization.
Submit the application via MyTax Illinois or mail the information to:
Sales Tax Exemption Section 3-520
Illinois Department of Revenue
101 West Jefferson St
Springfield, IL 62702-5145
See 86 Ill. Adm. Code 130.2007 and Information for exclusively charitable, religious, or educational organizations; governmental bodies; and certain other tax-exempt organizations (PIO-37) for more information.