You cannot use your Certificate of Registration or License by itself to purchase items exempt from tax. You must complete a
CRT-61, Certificate of Resale, which is a statement that the property you purchase is for purposes of resale.
You may use other forms or statements in place of Form CRT-61. Certificates of Resale must contain:
- the seller's name and address;
- the purchaser's name and address;
- a description of the property being purchased;
- a statement that the property is being purchased for resale;
- the purchaser's signature and date of signing; and
- either an Illinois Account ID, an Illinois resale number, or a certification of resale to an out-of-state purchaser.
A purchase order signed by the purchaser may be used as a Certificate of Resale if it contains all of the above required information.