How do I correct an error on my electronically filed Form IL-1040 return?

If you filed your IL-1040 electronically, you may also file Form IL-1040-X through MyTax Illinois or file paper by using Form IL-1040-X, Amended Individual Income Tax Return

If you are filing Form IL-1040-X due to a federal change, do not file until you receive notification from the IRS showing it was accepted. For more information, refer to the  Form IL-1040-X Instructions.

Note: If you qualify for the federal unemployment exclusion as a result of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, and you filed your Form IL-1040 before March 15, 2021, do not file an amended return to update your adjusted gross income.   The Illinois Department of Revenue is planning to automatically update your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). We will begin the systematic update process in May, 2021. Once your return has been adjusted, you will receive a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) explaining the update and if you are entitled to a refund, a paper check will be mailed to the address on file. For more information, see the 2020 Illinois Individual Income Tax Forms.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.