Does the child have to be a dependent on my tax return to take the education expense credit?

Yes, if you are the parent or legal guardian of an eligible student and you paid qualifying educational expenses in excess of $250 to a public or nonpublic school in Illinois. However, if your child's other parent or legal guardian files a separate return and claims the K-12 education expense credit, you may not both claim a credit for the same expenses and the total amount of credit claimed between both parents or guardians may not exceed $750.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.