How do I file an appeal if I think that my property’s assessed value is too high?

Contact your assessor. If the assessment books have not been turned over to the board of review, you may be able to have an error corrected without filing a formal appeal. (Some chief county assessment officers may ask you to file a written complaint form, however.) A formal appeal is made in writing to your county board of review. Contact the board for deadlines, complaint forms, evidence you’ll need, etc. You must file a formal appeal with your county board of review before you may further appeal to the State Property Tax Appeal Board or the circuit court in your county.

For information regarding the steps in appealing a farmland or farm building assessment, contact your chief county assessment officer and request Form PTAX-227, Farm Property Assessment Complaint.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.