What form do I complete if I am an Illinois resident purchasing an automobile from another Illinois resident?

When an Illinois resident purchases a vehicle in a private party transaction (i.e., the seller is not a car dealer), the sale and subsequent tax due is reported on Form RUT-50. This form must also be filled out if the acquisition is by gift or transfer. For more information about reporting the tax due, see the instructions to Form RUT-50 or Illinois Administrative Code, Title 86, Part 151.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.