May I take the K-12 Education Expense Credit on my IL-1040 if I home schooled my child?

Yes, you may be eligible for the credit.  However, you must attach receipts that show the following information:

  • The type and amount of education expenses paid for each qualifying student during the calendar year,
  • The calendar year during which the education expenses were paid,
  • The name and address of the business to whom the expenses were paid, and
  • The name of the parent or guardian who paid.

Note:  We will not accept a canceled check as a receipt. 

For more information, see  Publication 119, Education Expense Credit General Rules and Requirements for Home Schools

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.