What do I have to do to get an extension for individual income tax?

File Form IL-505-I, Automatic Extension Payment for Individuals, to pay any tax you owe in order to avoid penalty and interest on tax not paid by the original due date of your return. If you do not expect to owe tax, you do not have to do anything.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.