What are my filing requirements as a nonresident student working in Illinois?

You must file  Form IL-1040, Individual Income Tax Return, and  Schedule NR, Nonresident and Part-year resident Computation of Illinois Tax, if you:

  • earned income from any source while you were a resident,
  • earned income from any Illinois sources while you were not a resident, or
  • want a refund of any Illinois tax withheld.

If you have additional inquiries, you may submit them to the Questions, Comments, or Request form.