KeyBank Debit Card FAQ’s

FAQ Index

    Frequently Asked Questions

    For taxpayers without an account to direct deposit an income tax refund, the Illinois Department of Revenue is offering a debit card option instead of a paper check. This card will help you avoid costly check-cashing fees. The debit card option is being offered through an agreement with KeyBank and can be used anywhere Debit MasterCard is accepted. Or, to receive the cash value of your card, please visit a MasterCard member bank to obtain an over-the-counter cash withdrawal available at no charge or use an Allpoint or a KeyBank ATM. Visit or to find a ATM location near you. For more information see below.

    When an income tax refund debit card ("debit card") is mailed to me, what will the envelope look like?

    It will look like this:

    debit card envelope

    NOTE: Please do not send any correspondence to the return address (PO Box) printed on this envelope.

    What does a debit card look like?

    It will look like the version shown below.

    debit card

    Can I send my debit card back to IDOR and request that a refund check be mailed to me or request that a credit be added to my account?

    No.  You will not be able to mail the debit card back to IDOR to request a replacement refund or a credit.

    Is my debit card ready to use once I receive it?

    No.  Before you can use your card, you must first activate it and select a 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number).  Call KeyBank Customer Services at 1-866-295-2955.  Have the card in front of you when making the call.  You will be prompted to enter your 16-digit card number and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number.  Once your card is activated, you may choose option 4 from the main menu to create a PIN in order to withdraw cash at ATMs.  Once you have activated your card, don’t forget to sign it.

    NOTE: The funds on the Illinois Department of Revenue debit card are available as soon as the card is activated.

    How will I know the available dollar amount of my debit card?

    Once activated, you can check your balance at any time at no charge using the options below.

    • Online at or
    • By calling KeyBank Customer Service at 1-866-295-2955.

    Is it possible that the refund amount on my debit card may not be the same amount of the refund shown on my state tax return?

    Yes.  There are a number of reasons why the available amount on your debit card may be different than the refund amount shown on your Illinois income tax return.  Some reasons may include:

    • the difference may be due to a change made during the processing of your tax return;
    • part of your overpayment may have been offset to pay a liability you might have had with the IRS, IDOR, or any other state, federal or local governmental agency. This may include a school district, public institution of higher education, or circuit court clerk; or
    • you may have directed a portion of your overpayment be applied as an estimated income tax payment for next year.

    You can find out the reason for the discrepancy by contacting IDOR Taxpayer Assistance Line at 1-800-732-8866 during business hours, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

    Where can I use my debit card?

    You can use your debit card at:

    • Banks and credit unions displaying the MasterCard logo
    • ATMs
    • Retail locations (both store front businesses and on-line businesses) that accept MasterCard
    • Gas stations to purchase fuel.

    For more details, please refer to the card carrier that accompanied your KeyBank debit card.

    How do I use my debit card to get cash at an ATM?

    Insert the card into the ATM machine and enter the 4-digit PIN you self-selected during the activation process.

    Press “Withdrawal” and then “Checking” and follow the instructions until the transaction is completed.

    What is an ATM denial?

    An “ATM denial” occurs when you attempt to withdraw more money than is available in your account.

    What is the difference between a Service Fee and a Surcharge?

    A service fee is a fee charged by the card issuer, KeyBank.  A surcharge is a fee charged by an ATM owner. You will never be charged a service fee OR surcharge when using your card at an Allpoint or a KeyBank ATM however, be aware that other ATM owners may apply a surcharge depending on where you use your card.

    What if I enter the wrong PIN or forget my PIN?

    For security reasons, the card may be locked after three (3) incorrect PIN entries.  If you forget your PIN, you should call KeyBank Customer Service at 1-866-295-2955.

    Are there fees imposed when I use my debit card?

    In some cases, yes.  See KeyBank debit card information

    Can I deposit the available balance from my debit card into my bank account?

    Yes.  There are two options:

    • If your bank or credit union displays the MasterCard logo, then visit a teller at your banking institution.  Request a “cash advance” for the available amount of your debit card.  You must know the available balance on the card and must communicate that amount to your teller.  Deposit this amount into your bank account.  *(NOTE: There should be no fees imposed on this transaction.  If your banking institution displays the MasterCard logo and they impose a fee for the cash advance, please contact KeyBank Customer Services at 1-866-295-2955.)
    • Transfer the funds to your banking institution at  KeyBank will not charge a fee if funds are transferred to a bank account.  The receiving bank may impose a fee.  Check with your bank.

    What if my debit card is lost, stolen, damaged or never received?

    Contact KeyBank Customer Services via or at 1-866-295-2955 to immediately report the card lost, stolen, damaged or not received, and request a new card.  Any remaining balance will be transferred to the new card.  There is one free replacement card allowed per year.  After that, a $7.50 replacement fee will be imposed by KeyBank.

    What happens if I receive a debit card, but I don’t activate it right away?

    If you don’t activate your debit card within 365 days, your debit card account will be closed and the available balance will be subject to banking regulations governing escheatment for your state of residence.

    What happens if I activate my debit card, but I don’t begin using it or leave a balance on the card?

    After activating your card, it's best to begin using it within the next 365 days to prevent an inactivity fee. After 365 consecutive days of inactivity, KeyBank will begin charging you an inactivity fee of $1.50 per month until one of the following two situations occur:

    1. The account balance is drawn to $0 (or an amount less than $1.50); and/or
    2. If the account reaches the allowed laws of escheatment (abandoned property or unclaimed funds) for your state of residence, any residual funds in the account will be escheated according to that state’s laws.

    NOTE: The taxpayer would have the opportunity to claim the remaining balance just as they would any other funds in a bank account that is surrendered to the Office of the State Treasurer under (abandoned property or unclaimed funds) rules and regulations in the State of Illinois.

    Will I have on-line access to my debit card account?

    Yes.  Visit to see the details of your account.

    Do I have to notify the Illinois Department of Revenue once my debit card has a zero balance?

    No.  Once the card has a zero balance, there is nothing more to do.  However, the department recommends shredding the card once it has a zero balance. 

    How do I access my refund if my debit card is less than $20, or not in increments of $20?

    ATMs usually dispense money in increments of $20.  If you cannot use an ATM for the remaining balance on your debit card, you may also access your refund by:

    • Making a purchase at a retail location that accepts MasterCard (both store-front businesses and on-line businesses.)
    • Visiting any bank or credit union that displays the MasterCard logo and requesting a free teller-assisted cash withdrawal.
    • You can also transfer funds to another account through

    NOTE: You will need to know the dollar amount remaining on the card for these transactions.

    Who can I contact with additional questions?

    Visit the Where's My Refund? page to get answers to many refund related questions such as:

    • "Where is my refund?";
    • "What do I do if my refund is different than what was shown on my return?"; and
    • "How long does it take to get my refund?"

    Call IDOR Taxpayer Assistance at 1-800-732-8866 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm):

    • To check the status of your income tax refund;
    • If the refund amount on the debit card is different than the refund amount shown on your income tax return;
    • For any other IDOR refund issue.

    Contact KeyBank at or 1-866-295-2955 (24 hours per day / 7 days per week):

    • To activate your debit card;
    • For assistance using your debit card;
    • If your debit card was lost, stolen or damaged;
    • If you did not receive your debit card;
    • To dispute an unauthorized charge;
    • If your debit card was rejected;
    • To check your account balance;
    • For questions on transaction fees;
    • If you forgot your PIN

    Return to index