The Parking Excise Tax is imposed on the privilege of using a parking space in a parking area or garage for the use of parking one or more motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, or other self-propelled vehicles in Illinois. Effective January 1, 2020, operators of parking areas, spaces, and garages will be required to collect and remit the Parking Excise Tax based on the purchase price paid by the purchaser to park in a parking area, space or garage.
"Parking area or garage" is defined as any real estate, building, structure, premises, enclosure or other place, whether enclosed or not, except a public way, within the State:
where motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, or other self-propelled vehicles, are stored, housed or parked for hire, charge, fee or other valuable consideration in a condition ready for use, or
where rent or compensation is paid to the owner, manager, operator or lessee of the premises for the housing, storing, sheltering, keeping or maintaining motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, or other self-propelled vehicles.
This definition includes any parking area or garage, whether the vehicle is parked by the owner of the vehicle or by the operator or an attendant.
"Operator" is defined as any person who engages in the business of operating a parking area or garage, or who, directly or through an agreement or arrangement with another party, collects the consideration for parking or storage of motor vehicles, recreational vehicles, or other self-propelled vehicles, at that parking place.
This definition includes, but is not limited to, "any facilitator or aggregator that collects from the purchaser the charge or fee paid for parking."
The Parking Excise Tax is imposed at the rate of:
- 6% of the purchase price for a parking space paid for on an hourly, daily, or weekly basis; or
- 9% of the purchase price for a parking space paid for on a monthly or annual basis.
The Parking Excise Tax does not apply to:
- parking areas, spaces, or garages that are operated by the federal government and its instrumentalities, the State, State universities created by statute, and units of local government (e.g., counties municipalities, townships, and special districts) that possess an active exemption number from IDOR;
Note: This exemption does not apply if the parking area, space, or garage owned by these entities is operated by a third party.
- residential off-street parking for home, apartment tenants, or condominium occupants, if the parking is provided in the lease or in a separate agreement between the landlord and tenant;
- parking by public, private, non-public hospital employees in a parking area, space, or garage that is owned and operated by the hospital for which they work; and
- parking in a parking area, space, or garage where three or fewer motor vehicles are stored, housed, or parked for hire if the operator does not act as an operator of more than a total of three spaces.
Form PE-100, Parking Excise Tax Return, is used to report and pay the parking area, space, and garage tax by an operator of a parking area. Form PE-100 must be filed and the tax must be paid electronically at MyTax Illinois.
Operators that have an average monthly liability of $20,000 or more must make quarter-monthly (accelerated) payments. Payments are due on the 7th, 15th, 22nd, and the last day of the month. For additional information regarding quarter-monthly (accelerated) payments, refer to the Guidelines for Quarter-monthly (Accelerated) Payments.
Additional Forms & Resources
- For information, visit our website at: tax.illinois.gov
- Register and file your return online at: mytax.illinois.gov
- For registration questions, call us at: 217 785-3707
- For tax and filing questions, call us at: 217 785-5906