Our Motor Fuel Refunds Section processes claims for refunds of taxes paid on the motor fuel you may have used for non-highway purposes. Typically, refunds are allowed for fuel used off-road such as in manufacturing, construction, landscaping, etc. No claims for refunds can be made on dyed diesel. With proper documentation, 100% of your refund may be granted if you claim is filed in a timely manner.
How do I file a claim for refund?
You may file a claim for refund by completing and submitting
Form RMFT-11-A. If you already have a Motor Fuel Refund account with the Illinois Department of Revenue, you may also submit your claim electronically using MyTax Illinois.
Is there a time limit on how long I have to claim a refund?
Yes. If you are licensed with the Illinois Department of Revenue as a motor fuel distributor or supplier and you paid the motor fuel tax on gallonage later used for non-highway purposes, you have up to one year from when the tax was paid to submit a claim. If you are not licensed as a motor fuel distributor or supplier and you paid the motor fuel tax on gallonage you later used for non-highway purposes, you have up to two years from when the tax was paid to submit
Form RMFT-11-A or file your claim from your MyTax Motor Fuel Refund account.
As a farmer am I allowed to claim a refund for gasoline I use in my tractor? Am I allowed to claim a refund on undyed diesel I use in my tractor?
A claim for the tax you paid on the gasoline can be submitted. You cannot submit a claim for the undyed diesel. You should use dyed diesel in your tractors.
What is the process for submitting Motor Fuel Tax refund claims that are supported by Global Positioning Systems (GPS)?
When submitting a Motor Fuel Tax Refund Claim (Form RMFT-11-A) supported by GPS records for fuel used on non-public roadways (i.e., alleyways, parking lots, private road segments, etc.), the following criteria must be met:
- You must provide a ten-percent sample of your GPS records for our review. This sample must indicate the method being used to map the public roadways and non-public roadways.
- You must provide a list identifying trailer or vehicle numbers. An attached spreadsheet or electronic media format (e.g., disk, thumb drive) is preferred.
- Your fuel receipts or purchase documentation must indicate the fuel was purchased in Illinois with all taxes paid. You may submit this information in an electronic media format (preferred).
- You must include all highway gallons and mileage in the claim.
- You cannot claim idle time.
- You must provide all calculations used to determine your refund.
We may request additional information to support your claim. We will not process your claim if you estimate or round miles, gallons, hours, etc. Refund claims determined to be fraudulently filed are punishable by law.
217 782-2291 if you have questions.