Special Enrollment Period - Qualifying Life Events
When Open Enrollment is over, certain life events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
- Losing your job-based health coverage
- Moving to a new ZIP code or county
- A student moving from the place they attend school
- Getting married
- Divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance
- Having a baby
- Adopting a child
- Turning 26
- On an ACA Marketplace plan with someone who dies and as a result, you're no longer eligible for your current health plan
- If you are no longer eligible for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Starting or ending service as an AmeriCorps State and National, VISTA, or NCCC member
If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you usually have up to 60 days following the event to enroll in a plan.
When you apply, you may be required to prove your eligibility to enroll based on the life event you experience.