“Adam” (E-1), 1914 (reproduced 1971)<img alt="" src="/sites/GovernorsMansion/Exhibitions/PublishingImages/Art-of-Illinois/Haeger-Potteries-Adam.jpg" style="BORDER:0px solid;" />“Adam” (E-1), 1914 (reproduced 1971)<div class="ExternalClassFE6AF52141ED42C295665F2C6E3CA836"><p>Haeger Potteries was a family business, managed by four successive generations, which began in 1871 when German-born David H. Haeger purchased an existing brickyard producing bricks, drain tile, and flower pots in East Dundee. The company began its art pottery production when his son Edmund hired well-known ceramic engineer J. Martin Stangl, formerly with Fulper Pottery of New Jersey, in 1914.</p><p>The first piece of Haeger artware was a classic Greek vase nicknamed named "Adam;" a companion vase, called "Eve" followed in 1915. Both featured a lustrous ebony color that would become one of the company's highly regarded glazes. The first customer to purchase the new artware line was Marshall Field & Company, Chicago's most prestigious department store. (In 1971, Haeger reproduced the landmark piece, "Adam," in celebration of its 100th Anniversary in a boxed, numbered series in a Gold Tweed glaze.)</p><p>By the 1920s, Haeger was offering a huge variety of vases, flower holders, informal tea and tableware, bookends, candlesticks, and lamps. The use of efficient industrial methods allowed the company to supply its artistic ceramics to department stores, art shops, gift shops, and florists at reasonable prices.</p><p>Haeger constructed a complete pottery manufacturing facility at Chicago's 1934 Century of Progress Exposition where 42 full-time employees turned out over 5,000 pieces of pottery per day. The modern manufacturing methods juxtaposed with ancient Pueblo Indian pottery methods, demonstrated by Native American master potters Maria and Julian Martinez, created a sensation.</p><p>In 1938, under the direction of 3rd generation son-in-law Joseph F. Estes, Haeger introduced a new line of artware and lamps called Royal Haeger that featured smooth, flowing lines and innovative glazes. Royal Arden Hickman, chief designer from 1938 to 1944, contributed significantly to the new Royal Haeger line. Hickman's highly acclaimed designs included his iconic black panther, a sleek elongated stalking cat first produced in 1941.</p><p>The critical and consumer success of Haeger Potteries prompted the hiring of many additional name designers to broaden its ceramic lines: among these were Eric Olsen, chief designer from 1944 to 1972; C. Glenn Richardson (1972–1992); Kevin Bradley (1992–2016) and an Italian craftsman-showman, Sebastiano Maglio (1963–1995), who created hand-thrown items as well as those adapted for production.</p><p>The broadest and best-selling line in American artware by the 1940s, Royal Haeger evolved to include dinnerware, vases, figurines, planters, and lamps. New lines introduced in the 1950s and onward included Studio Haeger, Haeger Awards, and The Potter's Mark, which included designs solicited from freelance artists. Facilities expanded with the acquisition of two plants in Macomb, Illinois, to produce florist trade items and lamps. </p><p>In the late twentieth century, as imports from overseas competition increased, Haeger, under the 4th generation leadership of Alexandra Haeger Estes (great-granddaughter of the founder) continued to add new colors and products, including a line of bakeware. Eventually, unable to compete, Haeger Potteries closed its doors after 145 years in June of 2016.</p></div>GP0|#f2ec6ce5-ffc5-400f-bd95-61693e83cd9f;L0|#0f2ec6ce5-ffc5-400f-bd95-61693e83cd9f|Haegar Potteries;GTSet|#6a9f5109-021d-478a-ae73-864102492159;GPP|#b8008031-8d86-41bf-8c8c-657f66f046d4;GPP|#be65f490-4890-487c-bb16-c396d99511f7Other;#TemporaryEarthenware;#Pottery;#East Dundee, IllinoisGlazed earthenware, Adam 8 ¼ × 3 ½ inches, Adam: Collection of John and Nancy Wendt