Health Insurance Shopping Tips
Questions to Ask Before You Buy
- Why do you need health insurance?
- Is the health insurance plan with the lowest premium really the most affordable?
- Who are you buying health insurance for?
- How long do you need health insurance – a full year or for a few months?
- Do you have a known health condition (a pre-existing condition)?
- What prescription drugs do you need?
- Do you have any chronic health conditions, like high blood pressure, diabetes or an autoimmune disorder? Even if you haven’t been to a doctor, are you in pain or having problems you believe will result in any health care services or treatment?
- Do you have a family doctor or hospital?
- Are you ready to pay the full cost for services until a deductible is reached?
- Are you able to pay the full cost for services if the plan limits how much it will pay?
Questions to Ask If You Receive a Phone Call About Buying Health Insurance
- How did you get my information?
- May I have your full name and contact information, please?
- What is the exact name of your company and where are you located?
- Is your company licensed? Are you a licensed insurance agent? If so, what’s your license number for (state)?
- What’s the exact name of the insurance company on the policy and the name/type of policy I would be buying?
- What’s your company’s phone number?
- Will I need to pay a fee to join a group?
- Please send a copy of the information to me through the mail.
- Can I call you back after I’ve read your plan information?
Questions to Ask About A Health Plan You Want to Purchase
- Is this an ACA Marketplace plan?
- Does this plan cover the same benefits as an ACA Marketplace plan?
- Does the plan cover pre-existing conditions?
- What benefits doesn’t this plan cover, and what benefits have limits?
- Where can I find out whether this plan covers my prescription drugs?
- Where can I find the list of health care providers in this plan’s network?
- What is the monthly premium I would pay for this plan?
- What out-of-pocket costs will I have to pay when I need services?
- What is the deductible?
- Is there a maximum I would have to pay out- of-pocket?
- Is there a limit on what the plan pays, per day, per year, or over my lifetime?
- How long does this plan last?
- Am I guaranteed the right to renew this plan?