This page contains: links to important COVID-19 resources; for providers: updates from state agencies and resources for Head Start/Early Head Start programs; resources for families with young children; and early childhood events cancelled due to COVID-19. For information and resources on emergency child care, click here.
The health and well-being of children, families, and early childhood care and education providers in Illinois is of utmost importance. Many Illinois residents are wondering what can or should be done to prepare for a possible increase in the number of cases of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) within the state. Helping control the spread of COVID-19 is everyone's civic responsibility. The resources below provide links to information to help keep all Illinois residents, especially families, providers, and those who support children, informed.
Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH.illinois.gov) has a statewide, 24-hour COVID-19 hotline (1-800-889-3931) and a designated email address (DPH.SICK@Illinois.gov).
For the Most Up-to-Date
COVID-19 Information & General Guidelines
The United States (U.S.) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides up-to-date information about prevention, symptoms, testing, and the current situation.
Follow CDC recommendations.
The American Academy of Pediatrics and HealthyChildren.org are providing critical updates on COVID-19 for families and clinicians.
The World Health Organization (WHO) is providing "rolling updates" of COVID-19 guidance and recommendations.
The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) COVID-19 webpage is updated regularly with information in English and Spanish to keep Illinois residents informed.
Coronavirus.illinois.gov centralizes updates from state government, prevention and preparation tips, frequently asked questions, and resources from public health experts.
The Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) COVID-19 webpage regularly updates the latest news, CDPH tweets, and answers to frequently asked questions.
The Chicago Public Schools (CPS) District Response to Coronavirus page features a listing of chronological updates for CPS parents, families, and staff starting on 3/4/2020.
The Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA) webpage houses COVID-19 related information on funding and guidance to support the implementation of mitigation techniques in communities and programs.
COVID-19 Updates & Resources from State Agencies
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, & ISBE - COVID-19: Illinois’ Early Childhood Care and Education Response (3/30/2020)
- IDHS - Pautas y aplicación para programas de cuidado infantil (3/30/2020)
- IDHS - Emergency Child Care Stipend Memo & Guidelines and Application for Child Care Programs (3/30/2020)
- DCFS - Memo to: Emergency Day Care Permit Applicants (3/27/2020)
- ISBE - Remote Learning Recommendations During COVID-19 Emergency (3/27/2020)
- ISBE - Memo: Remote Learning Days (3/27/2020)
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, & ISBE - COVID-19 Guidance for License-Exempt Child Care Centers Providing Emergency Child Care to Essential Workers (3/25/2020)
- ISBE - Memo from ISBE's Nutrition Program for Programs Participating in CACFP (3/25/2020)
- IDHS - UPDATED Frequently Asked Questions and Answers: Early Intervention COVID-19 Policy/Procedures (3/23/2020)
- GOECD - Child Care Closures: A Letter to Families (3/21/2020)
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, and ISBE - Orientación para centros de cuidado infantil, hogares de cuidado infantil y programas de educación temprana (3/20/2020)
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, and ISBE - Guidance for Child Care Centers, Child Care Homes, and Early Education Programs (3/20/2020)
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, and ISBE - COVID-19: Preguntas frecuentes tras el cierre obligatorio de todos los centros y hogares de cuidado infantil (3/2/2020)
- GOECD, DCFS, IDHS, and ISBE - COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions Following the Mandatory Closure of All Child Care Centers and Homes (3/20/2020)
- Decreto Ejecutivo en Respuesta a COVID-19 (3/20/2020)
- Governor's Office Stay at Home Executive Order (3/20/2020), click here for Arabic, Polish, Chinese, and Hindi translations
- IDHS - Early Intervention COVID-19 Policy/Procedures: Assistive Technology Requests (3/19/2020)
- IDHS - Frequently Asked Questions and Answers: Early Intervention COVID-19 Policy/Procedures (3/19/2020)
- IDPH - Interim Recommended Guidance for Preventing Spread of COVID-19 in Childcare/Daycare Centers (3/18/2020)
- IDPH - Interim Guidance for Risk Assessment for COVID-19 (3/18/2020)
- ISBE - Mandatory Statewide School Closure Per Executive Order 2020-05: Special Education Guidance for Illinois Schools and Local Education Agencies (LEAs) (3/18/2020)
- ISBE - Mandatory Statewide School Closure Guidance for Illinois Schools and School Districts (3/18/2020)
- IDHS - Emergencia de salud pública por COVID-19 Política de exención de asistencia temporal (3/17/2020)
- IDHS - UPDATED: COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Temporary Attendance Exemption Policy and Form (3/17/2020)
- DCFS, IDHS, and GOECD - COVID-19: información y apoyo para proveedores de cuidado infantil en el hogar (3/17/2020)
- DCFS, IDHS, and GOECD - COVID-19: Information and Support for Home-Based Child Care Providers (3/17/2020)
- IDHS - COVID-19 Exception Policy/Procedures for All Early Intervention Payees and Providers and Child and Family Connections Service Coordinators and Staff (3/16/2020)
- MIECHV, IDHS, and ISBE - COVID-19 Update: Home Visits Suspended (3/16/2020)
- DFSS - Clarification for our Chicago Early Learning Community - Home Visiting (3/15/2020)
- IDHS and DCFS - COVID-19: Preguntas frecuentes (3/15/2020)
- IDHS and DCFS - COVID-19: Frequently Asked Questions (3/15/2020)
- IDHS, ISBE, and DCFS - Guidance for Child Care Centers and Early Education Programs (3/15/2020)
- ISBE - Mandatory Statewide School Closure Guidance for Illinois Schools and School Districts (3/14/2020)
- ISBE has obtained the USDA waiver to provide meals to all children under age 18 during school closures, including children under five. Families should call their local public school for more information. (3/13/2020)
- ISBE - COVID-19 School Closure Letter & Guidance (3/13/2020)
- MIECHV and IDHS - COVID-19 Update: Home Visits Suspended (3/13/2020)
- IDHS - Guidance for Illinois Department of Human Services Staff and Providers (3/13/2020)
- Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) - Education-Related Guidance for Illinois Schools and School Districts Regarding Coronavirus/COVID-19 (3/12/2020)
- Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) and the Governor's Office of Early Childhood Development (GOECD) - COVID-19 Information to Support MIECHV and Healthy Families Illinois Home Visiting Administrators (3/12/2020)
- City of Chicago Department of Family and Support Services (DFSS) - COVID-19 Guidance (3/09/2020)
Resources for Head Start/Early Head Start Programs
Resources for Families with Young Children
Resources for Supporting Children (alphabetical):
Resources for Families (alphabetical):
Major Early Childhood Events Cancelled or Postponed Due to COVID-19