The Illinois Department of Agriculture in conjunction with the University of Illinois Pesticide Safety Education Program (PSEP) is now offering the option to take pesticide exams online. All exams are proctored through an exam proctoring service in order to be compliant with federal certification and licensing guidelines. Exam length and time allotment will be similar to that of in-person testing.
All Exams are currently available.
Individuals wanting to take an online exam and/or online training will need to go to the University of Illinois Pesticide Safety Education Program's Training and Testing Web Page at the following link:
Once you've reached the training and testing page, scheduling an exam consists of the following steps:
- Choose Commercial or Private Exams.
- Locate the Exam for which you'd like to schedule and click on the title.
- Create a Learn @ Illinois Extension account.
- Follow the detailed step by step instructions to schedule and take a proctored exam.
- Test your equipment.
- Gather information needed for exam.
- Schedule Exam.
- Take Exam.
Training and Testing FAQs:
In order to utilize the online testing option, you will need to ensure you have access to the following:
- A Windows or Mac Computer with the Google Chrome internet browser installed
-Computer must have only one monitor (screen) at the time of the exam
-Chromebooks, tablets and other mobile devices are not compatible
- A functioning webcam (can be built-in to a laptop)
- A functioning microphone (can be built-in to a laptop/webcam)
- A strong internet connection (1 Mbps minimum, >12 Mbps recommended)
- A private, quiet room
- One form of government-issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License, etc.)
- (Optional) A calculator (Computer calculator apps, smartphones, smart watches or other smart devices will not be allowed)
Exams are proctored by an online proctoring service. Online proctoring is required to be compliant with federal certification and licensing guidelines. Each online exam requires a $12 fee per exam attempt. The fee is paid directly to the proctoring service, by credit card only, at the time of exam signup. No proctoring or exam fees are paid to the Department of Agriculture. Questions regarding refunds must be addressed to the proctoring service.
Schedule in advance: Exams scheduled to begin within 72 hours may incur an added fee.
During the sign-up process, you will need to establish 2 accounts. One account for the U of I extension service in order to select your trainings or exams and one account for the proctoring service in order to schedule an exam. Please be sure to remember you account user names and passwords. Each employee will need a separate account. Exams taken under another employee's account will not be allowed.
For those unable to take advantage of the online testing option, a limited number of in-person testing sessions have or will be scheduled. Please visit our in-person testing page form more in formation or instruction to register for a session.
In-Person Testing Page