Impact - The number of users affected by the incident
Question: Are other people at your location impacted?
Question: Is the entire agency or multiple agencies impacted?
1-Extensive / Widespread
- Common to the enterprise, more than one entire agency or users from multiple agencies.
2-Significant / Large
- One single agency, all impacted.
- Impacts an executive or VIP.
3-Moderate / Limited
- Multiple users, less than one entire agency, 2+ users.
4-Minor / Localized
- Single individual or a single user.
Urgency - How quickly the organization needs resolution
Question: Are you able to work around the incident?
Question: Is this for a password reset?
Question: Is this disruption business critical?
An impediment of a critical business component resulting in a significant disruption to the business.
Existing incident or imminent event resulting in regulatory, security, or reputational impact.
An impediment of a component resulting in disruption to the business. The user is unable to perform normal business operations, and a workaround is not available.
An Incident has impaired the user's ability to perform their normal business operation and a workaround is not available.
- An incident has not resulted in a work disruption but has impaired the user's ability to perform their normal business operation.
- An incident has not resulted in a work disruption and is more of an inconvenience. a workaround is in place.
Priority - (Combination of Impact and Urgency)
Priority, which is calculated automatically based on Impact and Urgency, is the main indicator of severity and is used to determine:
- Which service level requirements (i.e. resolution times) apply to the incident
- The sequence is which an incident is addressed