File Transfer Utilities alleviates two common problems encountered with large file transfers. Sending large files over standard email transmission lines mixed with regular email traffic can result in system degradation or even network failure. Similarly Mainframe applications that require the transfer of large amounts of data can also cause havoc on a system's ability to perform. DoIT provides two types of powerful file transfer utilities which are appropriate for different platforms and the needs of various user applications: Email FTP and Mainframe. Secure access for authorized senders and receivers insures data security. This extended capability encourages the sharing of files and the use of remote computers as well as shields the user from variations in file storage systems.
The secure file transfer site provides a method allowing anyone with an Enterprise Active Directory and Exchange email account to upload large or confidential files for secure retrieval by another individual. This utility allows the sender and receiver to transmit large files that would otherwise be limited by email security and size restrictions.
With this service, the customer can expect secure connections (SSL) requiring authentication and authorization, protecting the transfer of sensitive information to the intended recipient.
Product Features and Descriptions
Email FTP Service
- Ability to upload to a total of 2 gigabytes and up to 5 files
- Ability to upload from a driver letter or a UNC path
- Support for Internet Explorer, Firefox and MACs
- Ability for sender to type a brief message to recipients and, following the upload, emails are sent to both the sender and recipients with encrypted links to download the file
- File retrieval (files are left on the site for 5, 10 or 15 days and are limited to 10 downloads)
Mainframe File Transfer Utility
- No user intervention needed
- Scheduling utility controls timing of transfer processes
- File types can be activated through definition to a file transfer protocol (FTP) control file
- New remote locations can be activated by including its information in an FTP control file and in the primary process for an incremental step
- Files are downloaded only if user notifies DoIT of availability
- A turnaround notice can be returned to the user pertaining to the success of a file transmission
- Ensures the validity of the notification and the related file
- Receiving user must have knowledge of the file type
- File type is required to conform to control file's characteristics
- Passwords and IDs are retained in encrypted format within the system
- Periodically passwords change by means of automation
- RACF authorization is also used to limit and permit access to FTP'd data
- Mainframe utilities include FTP, FTP VPN, FTP SSL and XCOM
Rates and Billing
Fee pertaining to this service are incorporated with the Enterprise Email service.
Ordering and Provisioning
Service available on demand by going to the "File Transfer Utility Website".
- Service provisioning and implementation
- Incident resolution
- Routine maintenance
- Service Desk support and assistance
- Secure connections (SSL) requiring authentication and authorization, protecting the transfer of sensitive information to the intended recipient
- Notify all users of scheduled maintenance windows
- Develop and implement agency governance to ensure staff compliance with DoIT incident reporting and request requirements
- Ensure that transfers are business related
- Verify that recipient has accessed and downloaded the file, deleting the file after the download is complete
- Data protection policies and do not transfer files prohibited from sharing absent proper Agency authorizations
- Do not share copyrighted or protected information without requisite approvals
- Retrieve files promptly when notified. (After 5 days, Email files may be cleaned)
- Converting a file(s) to .PDF or a compressed (ZIP) format can reduce the file size by up to 70%
- Utilize a minimum of 128 bit encryption if transfer is coming from a PC platform to the Mainframe environment
Service Levels and Metrics
Response to service request is immediate. DoIT targets to provision this service on demand.
Incident Response and Resolution
All incidents reported to DoIT will be captured in the DoIT service management ticketing system and addressed according to the Incident Management Guidelines
To report an incident, click here Report Problems Form
or contact the DoIT Service Desk at 217-524-3648 (Springfield) or 312-814-3648 (Chicago).
Available 24/7 excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events.