Wired Services provide Local Area Network (LAN) infrastructures within a building or agency environment enabling data communication among local computing and printing resources within an organization. These services support the infrastructure components and resources beginning where the end device connects into a wall plate. Wired Services are available to State of Illinois agencies, boards and commissions that DoIT presently supports.
Computers (i.e., wired and wireless desktop and laptops) are logically connected to essential servers and printers through LAN designation. They enable connectivity to the DoIT Data Center which in turn allows for access to DoIT service resources. This service also enables the use of file and print services and provides for remote access.
Product Features and Descriptions
- Network equipment to enable Internet Protocol (IP) communications among local devices
- Setup of structured cabling between end devices and network equipment
- End-user connectivity between desktop and laptop computers and the local network with multiple levels of support available to correlate with customer business needs
- Connectivity to File and Print Services along with the associated infrastructure
- Remote connectivity options and access to solutions such as VPN and Citrix
- Enhanced network security through the use of firewalls
- Redundancy is built into the core LAN infrastructure to ensure fail-over best practices in LAN connectivity
- Gigabit and 10 Gigabit Layer 2 and Layer 3 switching provide quick and efficient LAN data transmissions. Load balancing is employed to administer the distribution of the LAN load which contributes to both enhanced server capacity as well as reliable uptime
Rates and Billing
Ordering and Provisioning
Service can be procured, modified or cancelled by selecting the "Order Services" button near the top of the right pane.
- Service provisioning and implementation
- Incident resolution
- Routine maintenance
- Management of IP address space
- Network segmentation as required
- Move, add, change requests
- Technology refreshes, maintenance, configurations, administration and support of network infrastructure
- Proactive monitoring of the infrastructure
- Firewall security maintenance and administration support as well as configuration and monitoring
- Coordinate customer notification of planned maintenance and outages
- Engineer appropriate network bandwidth by working with agency business requirements
- Provide network service in an efficient and economical manner - to include using bandwidth monitoring statistics to justify enhancements
- Ensure services are compliant with statewide IT policies and standards
- Develop and implement agency governance to ensure staff compliance with DoIT incident reporting and request requirements
- Designate a point of contact for coordinating outages or emergency maintenance
- Meet minimum standards including but not limited to documentation, wiring, power, HVAC access and security
- Replacement or repair of structured cabling or wiring
- Ensure that all local area network users are knowledgeable about the respective LAN policies and procedures
- Ensure that all local area network users obtain network access only with their own user IDs
- Ensure that local area networks are not used for personal or other matters that do not pertain to official business needs
- Ensure that bandwidth is not unnecessarily used up from personal staff use of the Internet for radio and video access
Service Levels and Metrics
Staff will respond to service requests during the published business hours. DoIT targets to provision this service as follows:
- LAN port activation within 5 days
- Firewall configuration within 4 days
- Hardware installation within 5 days
Incident Response and Resolution
All incidents reported to DoIT will be captured in the DoIT service management ticketing system and addressed according to the Incident Management Guidelines.
To report an incident, click here Report Problems Form
or contact the DoIT Service Desk at 217-524-3648 (Springfield) or 312-814-3648 (Chicago).
This service will be available 24/7 excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events.