What is Forefront Identity Manager?
Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) is a tool that allows users to reset their own passwords if they get locked out. The password reset can be done from your work PC, a coworker’s PC, or personal device such as a PC, laptop, or smart phone.
How do I register?
Either click the Next button on screen when prompted OR you can go to https://imreg.illinois.gov
(be sure to enter it as https and not just http)
Why do I have to enter my password if I’m already logged in?
It’s similar to having to enter your old password at the change password screen. It’s an extra security measure to ensure you didn’t walk away from your desk and someone else is trying to register your ID.
Why do I have to enter the color of the sun, etc.?
These will be seen only if registering from the Internet. It’s a security measure to prevent automated Internet web bots from registering.
How many questions do I have to answer?
You must pick 3 of the 10 questions displayed.
What if I don’t like the questions?
You can cancel and it will give you different questions.
What if I can’t remember my FIM answers?
When I type the answers, are they case sensitive?
No, answers are not case sensitive.
How do I change one of my answers?
There is no way to change just one of your answers. You can re-register and then change your answers.
Who sees the information I’ve entered?
No one sees the answers. They are not used by the help desk or anyone else. They are only used by you if you forget or lock-out your password.
Can you use other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox?
No, you must use Internet Explorer to register.
Why am I being nagged?
In order to use the self-service password tool, you need to register in advance. The prompt is a reminder that you haven’t registered yet.
Why can’t I use the same answer multiple times? If where I was married and where my sister lives are both Springfield, that’s going to create a problem.
For security purposes, we don’t want users answering all the questions the same. If you pick questions that would require the same answer, you’ll need to pick different questions.
Help, I’m locked out! What now?
- It depends on whether or not you’ve already registered with FIM.
- If you previously registered with the FIM, click the link at your login screen.
- You can also access FIM from https://imreset.illinois.gov from any device or another PC. This can be done from home PCs or mobile devices if needed.
- Enter the answers to your questions and then choose a new password. You won’t be able to re-use your old password.
- If you haven’t registered previously with FIM, you’ll need to call the helpdesk.
What if I waited until my password expired before changing it? Can I still use FIM?
Why do I keep getting locked out of my account?
- It’s hard to say for sure but there are several things that may be causing an issue. One of the most common is stored passwords on your computer.
- Internet Explorer is a common culprit. If Internet Explorer prompts you to save your password and you say yes, it will store your ID and password. However, if you change your logon password, Internet Explorer will try to use your old password. This can result in account lockouts.
- To check this, go to Start | Control Panel | Credential Manager.
- In Control Panel, Select Credential Manager
- If there are passwords stored in credential manager, remove them by clicking the Remove from Vault. Note – the passwords may be in the Windows Credentials Section or Generic Credentials. Either can be removed.
- Other possibilities include having the caps lock key on when typing your password.
- If you have a wireless keyboard, sometimes low batteries can cause issues with all the password characters being typed.
I tried to register but couldn’t. Now what?
- You must complete registration within 30 minutes of starting the process.
- Make sure you don’t have the same answers to different questions. For example, you can’t use Springfield to answer two different questions.