Created by legislation in 2010 the Commission to End Hunger was appointed by Governor Pat Quinn with the mission of developing a two-year plan to end hunger in Illinois. The purpose of the Commission to End Hunger is to develop an action plan every 2 years, review the progress of this plan, and ensure cross-collaboration among government entities and community partners toward the goal of ending hunger in Illinois.
The Commission is comprised of legislators and community leaders who have committed themselves to developing this action plan. To approach this task the Commission convened its first meeting in May of 2011 and divided into three working groups in order to best address the complex issues facing those who struggle with hunger. The working groups are: No Kid Hungry (formerly Children and Families at Risk), Emergency Food System (formerly Underserved Populations) and Benefits Access (formerly Vulnerable Adults).
As the Commission continues its work updates will be posted regularly. Be sure to visit the
Events page to learn how you can become involved.
To develop an aggressive and achievable two-year action plan to measurably reduce hunger in Illinois.
- Patricia Bellock, State Representative
- Brian Colgan, Office of Lieutenant Governor Evelyn Sanguinetti
- Leann Dolan, Illinois Department on Aging
- John Cheney Egan, Illinois Department of Children and Family Services
- Janice Glenn, Illinois Department of Human Rights (co-chair)
- Esperanza Gonzalez, Illinois Migrant Council
- Angel Gutierrez, Catholic Charities
- Mark Haller, Illinois State Board of Education
- Don Harmon, State Senator
- Elizabeth Hernandez, State Representative
- Diane Grigsby Jackson, Illinois Department of Human Services
- Ahlam Jbara, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- Jay Johnson, Illinois Department of Natural Resources
- Barbara Karacic, Community Member
- Bhagya Kolli, East Side Health District
- Karen Lehman, Fresh Taste
- Dan Lesser, Sargent Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
- Kate Maehr, Greater Chicago Food Depository (co-chair)
- Michael Miller, River Bend Foodbank
- Don Moffitt, Illinois Department of Agriculture
- Diana Rauner, Ounce of Prevention Fund
- Sue Rezin, State Senator
- Amy Rynell, Social Impact Research Center, Heartland Alliance
- Karen Tamley, Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities
- Mary Ellen Warren, Illinois Hunger Coalition
- Lynda Williams, Teach for America
- Julie Yurko, Northern Illinois Food Bank
Updated, November 12, 2018