Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ Index


    Q: Can you provide me with information about civil service employment with the State of Illinois?

    A: Information regarding employment opportunities with the State of Illinois can be found on the Central Management Services website at :    or by telephoning 217-557-6885.

    Back to Top

    Q: I work for a State university. Will the Commission hear my appeal?

    A: No. Employees or prospective employees of State universities are under the jurisdiction of the State Universities Civil Service System. They can be reached at or by telephoning 217-278-3150.

    Back to Top

    Q: How much time do I have to file an appeal?

    A:  See below:

    • Appeals of discharge, suspension, or demotion must be filed within 15 days of the employees' receipt of approval of written charges.  
    • Appeals of layoff must be filed within 15 days of the effective date of the layoff. 
    • Allegations of violation of the Personnel Rules must be filed within 180 days of the date the affected person knew or should have known of the violation or noncompliance. 
    • Appeals of geographic transfer must be filed within 15 days of the effective date of the transfer. 
    • Appeals of job allocation must be filed within 15 days of the employee's receipt of the decision on reconsideration.   

    Back to Top

    Q: Can I file an appeal over the Internet?

    A: No. The Commission's Rules do not provide for electronic filing.  The Commission does accept fax filing at 217-524-3706.

    Back to Top

    Q: Will the Commission help me with my appeal?

    A: The Commission staff may assist parties with questions regarding procedures before the Commission.  However, they are prohibited from discussing any factual or other contested issues in pending cases.

    Back to Top

    Q: If I am represented by a union, do I still have a right to appeal my discharge with the Commission?

    A: Yes. However, you are only allowed to appeal through the Commission or the grievance procedure set forth in your collective bargaining agreement, not both.

    Back to Top

    Q: Do non-certified employees have appeal rights if they are discharged or suspended for more than 30 days in a calendar year?

    A: No. Only certified employees may appeal their discharge or suspension to the Civil Service Commission.

    Back to Top

    Q: Can parties conduct discovery in Commission cases?

    A: Yes. Discovery is governed by Section 1.220 of the Commission's Rules.  In general, a party served with a discovery request has 10 days to respond.

    Back to Top

    Q: Where does the Commission hold hearings?

    A: Hearings are generally held in either the Commission's Springfield or Chicago offices.  The Administrative Law Judge designates a hearing location primarily based on the geographic location of the parties and witnesses.

    Back to Top

    Q: Do I need an attorney to represent me?

    A: There is no requirement that a party filing an appeal be represented by an attorney.  However, if a party desires a representative, it may only be by an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois.

    Back to Top

    Q: Does the Commission issue subpoenas?

    A: Yes. You must make a written request to the Commission first before it will issue a subpoena.  Service of the subpoena and related costs are the responsibility of the party requesting it.  See Section 1.190 of the Commission's Rules for additional information.

    Back to Top

    Q: If the Commission overturns my discharge, am I entitled to back pay for the time I was off work?

    A: Generally, yes. However, there are other factors which will determine the ultimate amount you would receive such as whether the Commission orders a suspension in lieu of discharge, the number of days your hearing was delayed that can be attributed to your actions, and income you may have earned during this period of time from other sources including unemployment compensation.